Saturday, August 21, 2010

Rebuilding the Past: 3053 Emperor's Stronghold



Is that guy in the black helmet the Emperor? I always though he looked a little young for an emperor.

I really like the color scheme of this set. Black, blue and tan work really well together. And the red ninjas fit in nicely. Plus it really looks and feels like a high mountain fortress, which is a very nice contrast to the more lowland feel of the first ninja sets. The brown baseplate helps with that a lot and I would love to get my hands on about a dozen more of them.

The little treasure chest carrying thing is simple but neat. I really like these little accessories. They add that extra touch to make the set come alive. I wish Lego would include more such things in their sets nowadays.

As to a bit of a commentary on the building: the middle tower part is very nicely done. Its interesting how Lego can used a bunch of different colors in a wall and still make it work. I'm going to have to try that some more, I tend to use a very limited color scheme in my structures.

Rebuilding this set, I was struck by how such a tall structure could be built out of such a small pile of bricks.

And, I can't skip the white ninja. I don't consider her to be all that special of a figure, beyond her rarity and gender. Her torso is just the standard ninja pattern on white. It seems her price has come down since her rerelease in the vintage collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment